Wednesday, 26 August 2015

#NationalDogDay


What better way to introduce you to the two girls in my life than today, yep that's right, the 26th August 2015 is National Dog Day.  The holiday was first celebrated annually in 2004 so I must admit I'm completely ashamed that this went over my head, especially as I'm a huge dog lover.
.
The premise of National Dog Day is exactly as it sounds, a celebration of our wet nose friends, in honour of all they do for us; from being our companions, to helping to save lives.  It also serves as a reminder of how many dogs are put down each year due to over-breeding and neglect, it is a real eye opener as to how many dogs need rehoming and rescuing.

I have been a dog owner for 5 years and I wouldn't change it for the world.  Getting a Chihuahua wasn't something I ever dreamed I'd do, and even now my family laugh about it, because I grew up working on farms and owning horses we always envisioned that I'd have something, well, bigger.  I will be the first to admit that a Chihuahua would never have been my first choice.  A year after getting my first dog, Phoebe, I drove all the way to Wales to get Luna,  Fast forward 3 years and I wouldn't be without a Chihuahua in my life, so much so that I have to restrain myself every time I hear of one that needs rehoming, unfortunately the breed novelty has worn off meaning they aren't the "in dog" any more, as a result it isn't uncommon to find them dumped.

Let me tell you a little more about my girls..

Phoebe is a long coat cream Chihuahua and she's 5 years old.  Phoebe is the definition of a lap dog, she likes nothing more than to curl up on you and fall asleep in several different positions, she loves finishing off my cups of tea, and sometimes snores like a Pug.  Goes by: Phoebe, Bebe, Pheebs, Beebs, Boobs.

Luna is a long coat red sable Chihuahua and she's 3 years old.  Luna is menace is every sense of the word, she is the kind of dog who will never grow up or act her act, if she was a child we think she'd have an ASBO.  She spends most of her time harassing pigeons and getting herself stuck under the sofa.  Goes by: Luna, Doodles, Doodlebop, Nuni, Nuna, Una, Little Shit.

If you own a dog, or you're simply a dog lover, you can find out ways to celebrate by checking this link!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Marree June. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig